NAMI SD Consumer Council
The NAMI Consumer Council was formed to advance the activities and involvement of the consumer membership of NAMI at the local, state and national levels by actively participating in advocacy issues and program development. The NAMI South Dakota Consumer Council will achieve this by:
- Working actively to support the mission of NAMI.
- Working to preserve the respect, dignity and human rights of mental health consumers.
- Providing information dissemination and skills training for consumers attending the Annual NAMI Convention.
- Advising the NAMI Board of the perspectives of their consumer members.
- Communicating the mission of NAMI through active participation in the nationwide consumer movement.
- Empowering and educating mental health consumers to address their issues around care, treatment, services, mutual support and consumer rights.
- Maintaining a productive and accountable Council.
The NAMI Consumer Council is important in bringing to light issues specific to recovery from mental illness. Consumers are highly effective advocates. They are considered by many policy makers to be the most credible spokespersons for the citizens with mental illnesses and co-occurring disorders. Increasingly, consumers show a tenacity and knowledge that can be an inspiration to others. Their knowledge can help advance NAMI’s goals. NAMI Affiliates are stronger as a result of the different perspectives and skills consumers bring to the organization.
Individuals living with mental illness are eligible to belong to the NAMI South Dakota Consumer Council. For more information, please contact Consumer Council Chair Tom Silverthorn at 605-238-5766 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: Consumer Council members must be members of NAMI South Dakota. Please visit our “Join” page for more information and a membership form.