The families and members of NAMI South Dakota are here to help! We offer understanding to anyone concerned about mental illnesses. We believe recovery is not an event, but a journey. In addition, we promote person-centered treatment and wellness activities that enhance health and well-being. You are not alone, and there is hope.
Mental illnesses are brain disorders that are biologically based medical problems. Untreated, they can cause severe disturbances in thinking, feeling and relating. This results in substantially diminished capacity for dealing with the ordinary demands of life. Mental illnesses can affect persons of any age and occur in any family. They are not caused by bad parenting and not evidence of weakness of character.
The mission of NAMI South Dakota is to provide education, support and advocacy for families and individuals affected by mental illness. We accomplish this through the dedication of our many members, volunteers, and donors. THANK YOU!
- Advocate at the community, state and national levels for non-discriminatory access to quality healthcare, housing , education and employment for people with mental illness.
- Educate the public about mental illness.
- Work to eliminate the stigma of mental illness.
- Advocate for increased funding for research into the causes and treatment of mental illness.
- Provide compassionate support and helpful education to people living with mental illness and their families and loved ones.
In our envisioned future, mental illness will no longer affect a person’s fulfillment of his or her potential. With accurate early diagnoses, research-based interventions and targeted, accessible medications and services, there is no pervasive disability. Ultimately, we envision a day when prevention or a cure is found.